Superman Man of Steel 2013: Zack Snyder Changing Phantom Zone Name?! Spoilers!
created 09/13/2012 - 12:31am, updated 10/01/2012 - 4:34pm
With Zod, played by Michael Shannon in the new Superman movie, Man of Steel, we know the Phantom Zone can't be far behind.
The Phantom Zone is the dimension where the Kryptonians imprison their criminals, of course, with General Zod being one of the prisoners.
So what role will the Phantom Zone play in Zack Snyder's new movie?
Well, maybe not anything as apparently Zack Snyder may be changing the name of the Phantom Zone — to the Black Zone.
A user at the Super Hero Hype Forums said that he attended a recent Warner Bros. trade show where concept art for the Man of Steel was displayed. The user mentions Zod's prison to be named the "Black Zone." In addition, the user describes the concept art which reveals some new details.
Possible spoilers follow.
UPDATED: Just went back from WB Tradeshow 2012, and they showed the same Jor-El teaser but they also present us with lots of confidential artwork concepts, design by James Acheson (Raimi's Spider-Man, Daredevil) and Michael Wilkinson (300, Watchmen).
Here are a brief coverage of the artwork concept:
- Henry Cavill in Supes suit full body, and then a half body shot of cavill using the monochromatic suit possibly, the uncolored suit for some early test shot.
- Jor-El suit minus his armor full body, and Jor-El with his intricate Kryptonian battle suit with some rifle.
- Zod with complete suit with cape and rifle, Zod with his black undersuit full body and then Zod being shackled in neck and hand, connected.
- Zod's prison structure, called Black Zone, floating, also function as a transport kind of vehicle. Guards are patroling the rooms inside the prison.
- an artwork of a specific scene showing the arrival of the Black Zone in the sky of Metropolis.
- Zod's using helmet and different armor when his first arrived on earth, possibly adjusting the air and all.
- Jor-El scout ship, who floated and landed in Artic i guess, consist of Supes Kryptonian suit inside. there's an artwork of the cockpit also.
- The design of Some sort of KEY to activate the ship that were shown in Comic Con.
- two designs of bad ass rifle and handgun courtesy of Planet Krypton
- a highly rendered art of Henry as Superman
as you can see they didn't show any new footage so its posssible that the design can be tinker or refine for the final version. Man those artworks are mighty awesome and really gave us a look at what will be shown in the actual movie. Just want to quoted Roy Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
There's not too many spoilers present above as we already knew that there would be Krypton scenes with advanced weaponry and technology, which was revealed through a previous Man of Steel call sheet back in March.
I would say the major spoiler is the revelation that Clark Kent, played by Henry Cavill, discovers possibly the Superman suit onboard Jor-El's scout ship, which according to the above has landed in the Arctic. However, we know that Clark goes to an Alaskan village, perhaps he's really seeking out the ship, and that's where he discovers the Kryptonian suit — which might be the actual Superman suit. We've also seen set images of Jor-El wearing the Superman suit underneath his Kryptonian battle armor (left), with designer Michael Wilkinson revealing that everybody on Krypton wears the suit.
If it's not the Superman suit, than by the description it seems as if Superman will be wearing armor - the Kryptonian battle armor - which is not unheard of as in the DC Comics books, Superman's look has an armor feel to it. In addition, Superman found a Kryptonian ceremonial costume onboard a Kryptonian ship while fighting off Braniac, though it was an all white suit. The white suit enhanced the invulnerability of a young Clark Kent who was not yet up to his full potential as Superman. Most recently in Superman #11, the Superman suit i.e. "armor" was revealed to be "activated" by Superman and "materialized" over his clothes.
Will we see elements of the comic book in the movie? Well, the Man of Steel movie has been involved in the new Superman comic books from the beginning - much to the dissatisfaction of the fans - and it has just become known that DC Comics is launching a new Man of Steel comic book by their top talents in conjunction with the release of the movie.
Stay tuned to Cosmic Book News as more on the Man Of Steel develops.
Man Of Steel flies into theaters June 14th, 2013 directed by Zack Snyder starring, Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel, Diane Lane as Martha "Ma" Kent, Kevin Costner as Jonat han "Pa" Kent, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Russel Crowe as Jor-El.
Be sure to check out the Cosmic Book News Superman Movie Hub for even more news and information.